Monday, July 23, 2007

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer Thoughts

It looks interesting…but I can wait for it on DVD. The first film I thought was just okay/so-so. It was alright. I don’t think it’ll be too big a hit because I think many people, especially hardcore fans of Fantastic Four comics, were disappointed with the previous film. And it’s a busy summer (Die Hard 4 and Transformers come out very soon after). But it has one weekend by itself, and the next weekend it pretty much only has the Stephen King film 1408 to deal with. Plus the Silver Surfer character has intrigued many people, including me. It’s a cool character…it looks wonderful in the trailers, as well He has a great voice in the form of Laurence Fishburne. So that character, along with not much competition in those two weekends, might make it a surprise hit. So on a personal level, I can wait to see that on DVD…no problems with that for me. Business wise, the more I think about it could be a surprise hit based on the Silver Surfer character. But if it’s a flop, I will not be surprised in the slightest. This sequel has contempt from almost everybody on the internet….all sorts of sites have low expectations for it. But again who knows, we’ll see.

Update: The film has made about $127 million in the United States, with a budget about $130 million. And about a $232 million total worldwide....that kind of spells a flop in my eyes. I don't know how business is done though in Hollywood...but is it also about the DVD sales and worldwide receipts, or just domestic box office that determines it's a flop or a hit? If I guessed though, I'd say big disappointment. But not a big surprise to me.

No comments: