Monday, July 23, 2007

Why Did Hostel 2 flop at the box office?

For a number of reasons. First off, I think people are tired of the whole ‘torture’ genre. We’ve had Saw 1-3, Hills Have Eyes 1 and 2, Turistas, and Hostel. Another thing, I don’t think may people were eagerly awaiting a sequel to this film…aka NO ONE GAVE A SHIT! And Hostel 2, especially coming from the marketing campaign, basically sounds just like the first film…except instead of 3 guys it’s 3 girls. I know there’s the whole business man angle…but I don’t think that’s enough to entice anybody. Plus, the film came out I the middle of summer. It just got buried by all the huge studio films Ocean’s 13, Surf’s Up, Pirates 3, and Shrek 3 among others. It was truthfully a dumb mistake to release this film during such a hectic summer…plus I think not many people even knew the damn thing was out. Advertising wasn’t the best (and again, they made it sound like the same fucking movie you saw before). So there are many reasons why it flopped. It was no big surprise at all.

Personally I wasn't a big fan of the first film, so I had no desire to see this one.

No comments: