Monday, July 30, 2007

Horror News/Opinions July 30 2007

*Trailer of Death Sentence-the film stars Kevin Bacon and is directed by James Wan (Dead Silence, Saw). The story centers on a father (Kevin Bacon) out for revenge after his family is attacked in a senseless and heinous gang-initiation crime. The father enacts a death sentence on each perpetrator involved with the crime. It looks pretty good, a throwback to films like Death Wish. I've always been a fan of vigilante movies (The Punisher, both versions, Kill Bill 1 and 2, Death Wish series, etc.) and I think Kevin Bacon is a strong actor (I love Tremors and Stir of Echoes, he did great in both). It opens August 31 and I think it'll be great.

*Remake of Death Race 2000, called Death Race 3000-it'll be directed by Paul W.S. Anderson who also made Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil. Jason Statham, Tyrese Gibson, and Joan Allen will star in the remake, which follows a group of contestants on a cross-country race who score points for running down pedestrians. The original film starred David Carradine and the always kick-ass Sylvester Stallone. I don't know about this....Anderson as a director is hit (Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon) and miss (Alien Vs. Predator....big time suckage!). But it's a cool story, and I think Jason Statham is one of the best action stars in today's age (Transporter 1 and 2 were fun times because of him). So...I'll wait and see, it could go either way to me.

*Terror Train remake-Thora Birch of American Beauty is set to star in the remake, as a team of US catch wrestlers find themselves caught up in a nightmarish train ride in Eastern Europe. Many Bulgarian actors will be playing in the film, directed by Gideon Raff. Birch plays the same character as Jamie Lee Curtis in the original, which helped kick start the slasher genre. Man oh man....what can I say. WHY REMAKE IT....THE GENERAL PUBLIC YOU'RE TRYING TO GET HAVEN'T HEARD OF THE FUCKING MOVIE. AND FANS OF SLASHER FILMS, LIKE ME, WILL BE PISSED OFF BECAUSE WE WANT YOU TO DO SOMETHING ORIGINAL...AND IT WON'T BE BETTER. Sorry about that...but was When A Stranger Calls remake good? Hell no! How about the The Hitcher remake? That was a fucking abomination. Now with the Prom Night remake that's going to be FUCKING PG-13 ugh....you've got the remake of April Fool's Day being made for a 2009 release (and set to star Scout Taylor-Compton, who stars as Laurie Strode in the remake of Halloween)....and a remake of My Bloody Valentine planned....it just goes to prove that this trend will not end soon. Too bad, very sad.

*Saw V and VI.... David Hackl, the production designer on Saw II, Saw III and Saw IV and second unit director on Saw II and Saw IV has OFFICIALLY been attached to helm both Lionsgate's Saw V and Saw VI. Whoa, whoa, WHOOAAAA!! There's a fucking Saw 5 and 6 already PLANNED??? This is getting out of fucking hand....and Tobin Bell is set to be in 5 and 6.....HE FUCKING DIED AT THE END OF SAW 3.....WHAT THE FUCK?? Here's my opinion of the Saw films:
Saw 1: I liked it, and still do. A cool little film, a neat story, the locations are grisly, the villain and the puppet are creepy and well voiced by Tobin Bell, Cary Elwes and Danny Glover both did an ok job, the soundtrack by Clint Mansell of Nine Inch Nails is amazing, and the ending worked on me....I thought for the most part it was pretty damn well written, and the traps were a cool device. A solid flick, at least to me.
Saw II: It reminded me of a slasher flick, only with traps. Seeing dumb people die in inventive traps gave me easy, good times. But not much else to flick truthfully, and I didn't care for the ending at all.
Saw III: Hated it...just was not entertaining to me, but instead pretty damn boring. No characters for me to root for, the ending to me was like 'whatever'....I just simply didn't give a shit about the story anymore. There's a couple good traps in it....but that's all the pleasure I could derive from this movie.

Do we really need a Saw IV, let alone a fucking Saw 5 and 6?? Simply, no. Fuck no. NOOO!! Anyway....

No comments: