Monday, July 30, 2007

San Diego Comic Con 2007

*Indiana Jones IV-there was a visit from the set of the new Indy 4. It had Spielberg, Harrison Ford looking really fucking old (I like him, I just don't know if he'll pull it off), Shia Lebouf as Indy's kid (looking like a 1950's greaser), and the return of Marion Ravenwood (Karen Allen). It's cool that it's finally happening, and I'm glad that Marion is returning. That was a cool thing to do, and it's nice to see Allen's return. I don't know about the flick, I'll wait and see.

*Underworld 3....might/will be happening. And the director could be special FX guru Patrick Tatopoulos. My only question is...why? I was never a fan of either movie, and I thought Underworld: Evolution was a box office flop. I won't be seeing this when it comes out...cause frankly I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!

*April Fool's Day remake for 2009...like I said before....just.....fucking shit.

*February 1, 2008 is the release of the remake of the Japanese horror/ghost story The Eye starring Jessica Alba....oh THAT'LL be great....awesome....terrifical......yeah right.

*Zack Snyder, after Watchmen, will do Army of the Dead. It's about a father looking for his daughter in a zombie infested world....and the movie is focused in Las Vegas. Sounds cool....but Zack says he wants it to be massive. Now will this be CGI armies of zombies? Which is like....meh truthfully. I'm up for a zombie film, and Snyder I thought did pretty damn good with the Dawn of the Dead remake...I hope he'll tone down the CGI and NO FUCKING CGI BLOOD or CGI GUNSHOTS....just use old school prosthetics, or fill some condoms with fake blood and put them on people to blow up.

*Iron Man-directed by Jon Favreau and starring Robert Downey Jr. There was a teaser/trailer made for the con, but not shown. It sounds good, and the choice in cast and director is pretty damn interesting. I think this could be a damn good comic book film.

*The Dark Knight-there was a teaser of just the bat signal with some voices. Nothing much, but I guess that's why they call it a TEASER. Anyway Heath Ledger plays the Joker, and I liked Batman Begins. It'll be good to see Christian Bale once again as Batman/Bruce Wayne. Here's the thing....just SLOW DOWN THE FISTICUFFS. The one thing I didn't like was I couldn't understand the scenes where Batman fights off goons hand to hand....it was a lot like my Transformers review....I know it was cool, but I couldn't see the fucking thing. Let me see the fucking fights, please!

*Clive Barker talks about writing the Hellraiser remake....saying he did a 45 page treatment for the movie. He's quoted as saying "I wanted to take what we learned from first movie about Pinhead and pour it into this mold… there’s a great story in there." I'm on the mind of two worlds on this. Why remake such a classic film....it'll probably be filled with awful CGI, and it won't be as dark as the original film...not many horror movies today are as dark as Hellraiser was back in the 1980's. On the other hand I can understand that the Hellraiser series has really lost its' footing and its' way after a total of 8 movies. And it's cool that Clive Barker is actually writing it himself. But who knows if they'll actually USE what Barker wrote....or they'll just hire some hack to quickly rewrite, change a few things to be politically correct, and keep Barker's name to draw in a few of the crowds. If I had to choose...I'll say FUCK THE REMAKE!

Films Coming Out Soon:

*Doomsday directed by Neil Marshall (The Descent, Dog Soldiers). Three decades after a lethal virus tore through a major country, leading to the country's walling off. When the virus, known as the Reaper, resurfaces in another country, an elite group is dispatched to the infected country to find a cure. There, they end up shut off from the rest of the world and must battle through a landscape that has become a waking nightmare. I like Marshall as a director, I thought both Dog Soldiers and The Descent fucking rocked. So I'm all up for this film!
*Frank Darabont's The Mist based on the Stephen King story, starring Thomas Jane and Andre Braugher. A freak storm unleashes a species of blood-thirsty creatures on a small town, where a small band of citizens hole-up in a supermarket and fight for their lives. It'll be released in November of 2007...Darabont DID do Shawshank Redemption.....but he also DID Dreamcatcher. But the story seems pretty cool, and I'm a big fan of Thomas Jane. I'll definately check that out.
*Cloverfield-Produced by J.J. Abrams. It looks like a great film...I loved the teaser (which I saw in front of Live Free or Die Hard) and it's a monster movie but with handheld cameras (taking the point of view of little ole us in the middle of a giant film). Novel approach to a monster movie, and it's set to come out January 18, 2008. I think it'll be called "Colossus"..but who knows we'll see.

I'm still pissed that there was no mention of John Rambo....none!! It makes sense in that it's not a comic book movie...but does Shoot Em Up starring Clive Owen (about a man named Mr. Smith who delivers a woman's baby during a shootout, and protects both mother and baby against an army of gunmen) have anything to do with comics? No, but it's still there. Oh well.

No comments: