Monday, July 23, 2007

Favorite Genre....and Favorite Film In Each Genre

My favorite genre is horror, with action a very, very close second. After that it’s science fiction, comedy, and then family. My favorite horror film has to be John Carpenter’s The Thing. Perfect direction, well done suspense, terrific locale (the outpost in the Arctic), awesome FX by Rob Bottin (which still hold up today and is 10 times better than any CGI can ever be), a top notch cast (Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, and Keith David), and it’s a film for me is truly perfect. I can’t think of any bad things to say about that flick. But I also love the original Dawn of the Dead, Jacob’s Ladder, the original The Hitcher, the remake of The Blob, the Evil Dead trilogy, and the Hills Have Eyes remake. For action, Rambo II is my all time favorite. But I also love Cobra, Van Damme films (Cyborg, Bloodsport, Hard Target), Out for Justice, Stallone films (Cliffhanger, First Blood, Rambo III, Demolition Man, Rocky III and IV) and Schwarzennegger movies (The Running Man, Commando, Predator). For comedy, my favorite is Cheech and Chong’s Up in Smoke…the first 10 minutes alone (Chong pulling out the massive weed to toke on with Cheech, and then pulled over by the cop) is funnier than many comedies today. I also love The Big Lebowski, the film Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, Three Stooges shorts, and Kevin Smith movies. In science fiction…my favorite has to be Aliens, followed by a flick called I Come in Peace (Dolph Lundgren as a cop chasing a drug dealer from outer space….very fun 80’s action flick). Family genre…my favorite has to be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 and 2...my all time favorite characters. I grew up with those characters (the cartoon, the comics, etc.) and the first film was done with both a slightly mature level but also good for the family. And the sequel is goofy at many times, but it’s fun and the costumes/voice acting is top notch in my opinion.

No comments: